Piotr Michałek deals with graphics and digital painting, designs wallpapers, wall decorations, fabrics, tapestries, rugs, arranges interiors and also creates advertising graphics.
In 2001-2009 he was involved in advertising graphics and created animations, interactive applications and websites, among others for brands such as Canal+, Ale Kino, Cyfra+, Novartis and many others. Later, his interests focused mainly on interior decorations and digital painting.
Wall graphics according to his designs were presented, among others at the Institute of Industrial Design in Warsaw. For the Brazilian company Tapetah, he created the “Echo” rug collection, half of his compositions and half of his father’s work (distinction at the Abimad’27 fair in Sao Paulo). His wall decorations and carpets decorate public and private interiors in Poland, Great Britain, France, USA and Brazil.
In his works in the field of digital painting, he uses textures and brushes from scanned and repeatedly enlarged natural materials, such as wood, plants and stones. Combining them and mixing together he gets the effect of expressive textures, which are a characteristic feature of his work. The style of his works is close to surrealism and abstraction, often referring to ethnic art.
A graduate of Interior Design and Arrangement at the Association of Polish Artists and Designers ‘Decorative Arts’ of the Warsaw District. Self-taught in the field of computer graphics.
For years, he has been popularizing and restoring the memory of his father, Franciszek, and his work by creating and presenting wallpapers based on his large-format wall paintings, among others. at Gdynia Design Days, Łódź Design Festival. or at the Institute of Industrial Design. Wallpaper collection by his father’s designs were awarded the prestigious Must Have quality mark at the 2017 Łódź festival. In addition, he implements the project “P + F Michałek” consisting of original compositions in which he uses sketches and unfinished works of his father.
- Nomination for the main prize for the graphic “Boomerangs in the mating season” | 2nd International Print Triennial in Cieszyn (2021)
- Finalist of the IWP competition “Good Design” for the design of the “Congo” wallpaper (2018)
- Nomination of the Institute of Industrial Design to the “Good Design” competition for the “Seaside Girls” wallpaper design (2018)
- Honorable Mention of the Minister of Culture and National Heritage for the project of creating a series of wallpapers inspired by his father’s murals (2017)
- Nomination for the “Good Design” competition organized by the Institute of Industrial Design for the “Ludojad” wallpaper design (2017)
- Finalist of the Antalis Design Awards (2017)